From the LATIN word for SOLDIER we get the word English word "MILITARY". What is the Latin root?
MILES - soldier
The fine arts would include SINGERS, ACTORS, MUSICIANS and ARTISTS. How do you say these jobs in LATIN?
CANTOR/CANTRIX - singer
ACTOR/ACTRIX - actor
MUSICUS - musician
ARTIFEX - artist
PINTOR - painter
SCULTOR - sculptor
From LATIN word for FARMER we get the English word "AGRICULTURE" which makes sense since it is the " science or practice of farming". Give the LATIN .
AGRICOLA - farmer
This persons job would be to work at a store perhaps a TABERNA ( hut/shop/inn) which is where we get the English word "TAVERN". It would make that a worker at a TABERNA would be called...............in LATIN.
TABERNARIUS - shopkeeper
Give the LATIN names for the following JOBS/OCCUPATIONS based on the clues given.
1. AMAT NATARE IN MARE.
2. SCRIBIT LIBRI ET FOLLIUM.DUE PERSONAE.(one sometimes its romantic)
3. To serve and protect, this could be used for a guard, policeman, or fireman. They are all very vigilant!
4. SI TU NON BENE EST. CLAMAS PRO ĪS. ( He might give you some medicine)
5. In SPANISH the word VENADO means deer. In Latin a person who hunts animals is called what?
1. NAUTA - sailor
2. SCRIPTOR - writer POETA - poet
3. VIGIL - guard/policeman/fireman
4. MEDICUS - doctor
5. VENATOR - hunter
What is the LATIN word for the following verbs?
2. VOCO (they say someone's VOCATION is their "calling")
3. NARRO ( think of what a NARRATION does)
5. SPECTO (when something is SPECTACULAR we naturally do this, we are SPECTATORS and love SPECTACLES)
1. AMO - I love
2. VOCO - I call
3. NARRO - I tell
4. VIVO - I live
5. SPECTO - I look at
One of our Fantastic phrases was "AUDIO VIDEO DISCO". What do these verbs mean?
AUDIO - I hear (we get words like AUDITORY and AUDIBLE)
VIDEO - I see ( we see videos all the time)
DISCO - I learn ( think of burning information on a disc - your mind is like a computer)
Translate the following Sentences from Latin to English.
1. EGO PANEM COQUO SAEPE.
2. SCRIPTOR LIBRUM SCRIBIT.
3. MATER ET PATER FILII SEMPER AMANT.
4. CURRO CITO, SED NON CURRO IN SCHOLAM!
5. MILES FORTE PUGNAT.
1. I cook bread often.
2. The writer writes books.
3. Mother and father allways love the children.
4. I run fast, but I don't run in school!
5. The soldier fights bravely.
Give the TENSE (present/imperfect/future), PERSON (1st/2nd/3rd), NUMBER (singular/plural), and MEANING (translation) for each Latin Verb.
1. Present Tense - 1PP (1st person plural) - We walk
2. Future Tense - 3PP ( 3rd person plural ) We will ride (a horse)
3. Imperfect Tense -1PS (1st person singular) I sailed (navigated)
What is the Latin word COLLIS mean?
Bonus...is there something like a COLLIS but much bigger? What is it called?
COLLIS = hill
MONS = mountain
We get the English word HORTICULTURE which is the "practice of garden cultivation and management" from this Latin word for GARDEN. What is this derrivatives LATIN ROOT?
We get the ENGLISH word FOLIAGE from what LATIN WORD? What does it mean?
This word has made its way into the English language in legal documents to mean a "PAGE" (like a leaf or paper)
Name the four seasons in Latin.
AESTAS = SUMMER
HIEMS = WINTER
Give 5 words that talk about the weather or things you find in the sky IN LATIN!
Tell what they mean (of course)
NIX-snow SOL - sun
IMBER-rain STELLA - star
VENTUS - wind LUNA - moon
NIMBUS -cloud CAELUM - sky
These two furry friends live in our homes, barking and purring. Give the Latin word and handsign.
BONUS OPP: Give a fantastic phrase or two that uses the names of these animals in them
CANIS - dog
FELES - cat
BONUS: Cave Canem. Feles lepide.
You have 30 seconds to act out farm animals and your team has to guess them correctly. Each guess can only be used once...so think before you speak. The actor should be the person with a birthday closest to quarentine.
GALLUS - rooster/chicken
PORCUS - pig
VACCA - cow
TAURUS - bull
AGNUS - lambe
Name 3 AVIA (birds) in LATIN based on the clues.
1. Flightless black and white bird that lives in Antarctica.
2. Colorful tropical bird. Often smart enought to talk.
3. Majestic bird of prey and the national bird of the United States of America.
NAME 5 African animals in LATIN and give the handsigns for each.
LEO - lion
ELEPHANTUS - elephant
RHINOCERUS - rhino
HIPOTIGRIS - zebra
CAMELOPARDALIS - giraffe
CAMELLUS - camel
HIPOPOTAMUS - Hippo
TIGRIS - tiger
Name the following animals in LATIN based on the clues given.
1. Duo animali dei silvam that ran a race. One is a small fast mammal and the other a slow reptile.
2. You may find him in an ARBOR or on the floor. Favorite CIBUS? Acorns.
3. He is the CANIS or the MARE. Sharp teeth and will eat PISCI and PHOCAE.
4.DUO amphibians almost the same one likes the TERRA the other AQUA. They both hop.
5. Two reptiles low to the ground. One with legs the other without.
1. CUNNIUCLUS - rabbit TESTUDO - turtle
2. SCIURIUS - squirrel
3. CANIS MARINUS - shark
4. BUFO - toad SAPO - frog
5. LAGARTA - lizard SERPENS - snake.
What is the LATIN WORD for HEAD?
CAPUT - head
Tell what these three PARTS of the Body in Latin mean in English.
ŌS - mouth
AURIS - ear
A "CORPORATION" is a BODY of people that work together for a common cause or entity. Like a BODY of workers at a company. What is the Latin root of this word?
CORPUS - body
Name two parts of the body in LATIN that are on the inslde. One pumps your blood and the other digests your food.
CORS - heart
ESTOMACHUS - stomach
Can you guess these Latin Body Parts by their clues?
1. You need to go to the dentist if these pearly whites hurt when you chew.
2. You need this to speak your mother tongue or any other language.
3. Your pectoral muscles are those in your chest.
1. DENS - tooth
2. LINGUA - tongue
3. PECTUS - chest